1 янв. 2012 г.

Moneyball

& Billy Beane: Guys, you’re just talking. Talking, “la-la-la-la-la,” like this is business as usual. It’s not.
    Grady: We’re trying to solve the problem...
    Billy: Not like this. You’re not looking at the problem.
    Grady: We’re very aware of the problem. I mean...
    Billy: Okay, good. What’s the problem?
    Grady: Look, Billy, we all understand what the problem is. We have to...
    Billy: Okay, good. What’s the problem?

& Billy: What did you tell Bruce?
    Peter Brand: I just told Bruce I like Garcia.
    Billy: You like Garcia... Why? ... Why?!
    Peter: I don’t know. Ahem.

& Peter: Baseball thinking is medieval. They are asking all the wrong questions. And if I say it to anybody, I’m ostracized. I’m a leper*. So that’s why I’m cagey* about this with you.

& Peter: Hey, Billy, I wanted you to see these player evaluations... that you asked me to do.
    Billy: I asked you to do three.
    Peter: Yeah. To evaluate three players.
    Billy: Yeah. How many did you do?
    Peter: Forty-seven.
    Billy: Okay...
    Peter: Actually, 51. I don’t know why I lied just then.

& Billy: Listen, would you have drafted me in the first round?
    Peter: What?
    Billy: After I left, you looked me up on your computer. Would you have drafted me in the first round?
    Peter: I... did, yeah. You... were a good player.
    Billy: Cut the crap, man. Would you have drafted me in the first round?
    Peter: I’d have taken you in the 9th round. No signing bonus. I imagine you would’ve passed and taken that scholarship.
    Billy: Yeah. Pack your bags, Pete. I just bought you from the Cleveland Indians.

& John Poloni: We make suggestions, he makes decisions.
    Grady: That’s all fine and well, but we’ve been working our asses off for weeks to make this club better, and you’re shitting all over it.
    Billy: This is not a discussion.
    Barry: What’re we discussing?
    Billy: Barry, not a discussion.


& Scott: You want me to take Giambi’s spot at first base?
    Billy: Yeah.
    Scott: What about the fans?
    Ron Washington: Maybe I can teach one of them...
    Billy: The fans don’t...
    Washington: Good one.
    Billy: Fans don’t run my ball club.

& Billy: Adapt or die.

& Billy: I’m not gonna fire you, Grady.
    Grady: Fuck you, Billy!
    Billy: Now I will.

& Billy: What the hell are you talking about?
    Peter: I don’t know. I shouldn’t have... I’m not gonna do this. I think this is stupid. I’m not gonna fire anybody, and this is dumb.
    Billy: They’re professional ballplayers. Just be straight with them. No fluff, just facts. ’Pete, I gotta let you go. Jack’s office will handle the details.’
    Peter: That’s it?
    Billy: Pfft.
    Peter: Really?!
    Billy: You rather get a bullet to the head or 5 to the chest and bleed to death?
    Peter: Are those my only two options?

& Billy: Is losing fun? ... Is losing fun?!
    Jeremy Giambi: ... No.
    Billy: What are you having fun for? ........ That’s what losing sounds like.

& Billy: Everyone wants to attack. Quit trying to attack. {...} This is a war of attrition.
    Eric Chavez: If I take more, I could even take a few strikes, but I’ll get walked more.
    Billy: You get on base, we win. You don’t, we lose. And I hate losing, Chavvie. I hate it. I hate losing more than I even wanna win. And there’s a difference.

& Billy: Baseball hates him.
    John Henry: Well, baseball can hate him, you know. One of the great things about money is that it buys a lot of things, one of which is the luxury to disregard what baseball likes, doesn’t like, what baseball thinks, doesn’t think.

& Peter: That makes you the highest-paid GM in the history of sports.
    Billy: So?.. So what? I made one decision in my life based on money. And I swore I would never do it again.
    Peter: You’re not doing it for the money.
    Billy: No?
    Peter: No. You’re doing it for what the money says. And it says what it says to any player that makes big money. That they’re worth it.
    Billy: What a dump.

& Billy: How can you not be romantic about baseball?
    Peter: It’s a metaphor.
    Billy: I know it’s a metaphor.

--
leper — прокаженный
cagey — скрытный

+ quotes on the Imdb.

__ Pitt & Jonah Hill r classy pair.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий